Thursday, December 1, 2005

Cost Comparison of Meat when used in a meal. For example, spaghetti, chicken ala king, pizzas, etc.


1 Whole Chicken
  • Cost per pound = $.79
  • Total Cost of the Chicken = $4.48
  • Amount of meat = 4 cups
  • Amount of broth = 6 cups
  • # of meals from 1 whole chicken for our family = 2 meals plus a few leftovers
  • Cost per meal for the meat = $2.24

Turkey

  • Cost per pound $0.33
  • 21 pound turkey $6.88
  • Amount of meat = 24 cups
  • I'm guessing I got about 10 cups of broth (forgot to measure, but I filled an ice cream bucket and more)
  • Cost per meal for the meat = $.57

3 Pounds Hamburger (80% lean)

  • Cost per pound = $1.49
  • Total Cost = $4.47
  • Amount of meat = 8 cups
  • No broth today
  • # of meals from 3 pounds burger for our family = 4 meals
  • Cost per meal for the meat = $1.12

1 pound Hamburger (90% lean)

  • Cost per pound $1.99
  • Amount of meat = 3 cups
  • Cost per cup = $.67/cup
  • 2 cups per meal for the meat = $1.34
Though this took a bit of time to figure out, I now own this information for the rest of my life. I ASSUMED that it was cheaper for us to have chicken meals (because of the price per pound), but clearly that's not the case. Chicken might be a bit healthier for us, but the hamburger is boiled and then the grease is drained from it so I can't say I'm too worried about it.