Saturday, December 3, 2005

Or does it?

Often times people with low grocery budgets are criticized for not eating "healthy". Each and every person is different and has a different idea of what "healthy eating" means. For me healthy eating means eating a low fat diet, drinking a lot of water and trying to eat more veggies.

I do other things as well, for example, when I bake I try to use applesauce when if possible and when making homemade spaghetti sauce you'll find carrots, onions, garlic and whatever other veggies are laying around. When I eat carbs I try to make sure they are mostly whole grains like whole wheat or oats. Instead of cooking with a lot of meat I get protein in our diet through milk, cheese or other things.

For snacks I often eat peanuts, raw almonds or flax seed along with a piece of fruit. When I had a higher grocery budget I bought more pre-made stuff made from things I can't pronounce. Now that I lowered our food budget, I don't buy or eat fewer fruits and veggies, I buy and eat DIFFERENT fruits and veggies. Bananas are always cheap and then I buy whatever is in season. Right now that means a lot of carrots and apples. I can't wait for oranges and grapefruit to be "in season".

I'm trying to increase the amount of vegetables in our meals, but so far haven't been able to. This has nothing to do with my low food budget though! Serious lack of planning and thought on my part.

People often comment that they eat "healthy" because they are eating a lot of fruit, but if you are eating a lot of fruit you are also eating a lot of sugar (ie. watermelon). For this hypoglycemic gal that would be a terrible idea! Portion size is another consideration. When I eat an apple, often times I'm actually eating two servings of fruit.

I completely disagree (respectfully of course!) that you have to buy organic fruits and veggies. I disagree that I can't have sugar in moderation. Remember when eggs used to be horrible for you? Well now years later they are good for you if eaten in moderation! Or I've heard you must soak grains for them to be absorbed into the body, but lately I've heard oh no, you don't need to. With our tax refund I am thinking about buying a side of beef from a local rancher - I would love to boost our local economy. If I could find a source for raw milk, eggs, etc. I would consider purchasing those items as well.

If I had a million dollars I'd probably buy a few more fruits and veggies that weren't on sale. However, I wouldn't change many other things; maybe more steak for my husband, maybe more fish for me. I still wouldn't buy organic :-) Famous last words. Please note on your calendars that in April 2010 I bought organic carrots. :-)