Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pantry Principle to the Rescue!


I've posted about the pantry principle before, where you buy items on sale and then eat those things. I don't usually cook things that I feel like cooking, I cook what I have in my pantry. This is one of the many ways I can keep my grocery budget for our family of four at $260. When I bought what I wanted to eat we easily spent three times this amount.

I'm finding myself in a busy season of life - Mom taxi life that is. Even though I find it's very beneficial to have a menu plan so we have more variety in our diet, sometimes in life it's just not going to happen! Apparently this is one of those times!


Today I went to the store and spent about $21.00 for groceries. For the month of February I've spent $105 so far. I have no idea what our menu plan is, but I'm confident that we have enough food to make it until next week when I will shop again. The reason I can be confident in this is because I shop ahead for our food. For example:
  •  A few weeks ago at Sam's Club I bought pork chops. I used half for one meal and I have the other half in my freezer.
  • I have the fixins' to make pizza.
  • I have beans and rice.
  • I have some hamburger.
  • I have soup stuff.
  • I have spaghetti making stuff
  • I have....a lot of food!
It has taken months to build up my pantry to the point where it's at now. I don't want months and months of food in there; my goal is to save money and time! Everyone has to feed their family...if you want to save money while doing this then try the PANTRY PRINCIPLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment