Monday, July 5, 2010

The ALL YOU Grocery Challenge

So I've been keeping track of my grocery purchases in hopes of winning the All You Grocery Challenge. I'm glad I signed up and I'm glad that I am failing. Here is why I believe that the challenge is a failure. You get $25 per person per week.
  • You get $25 for a one year old and $25 for a 17 year old boy?
  • You get $25 for a one year old and $25 for a marathon runner?
  • Area you live in (some places are much cheaper, some places much more - Hawaii anyone?)
  • You can't save money from one week and spend it the next week. In other words, you can't use the pantry principle.
  • It doesn't take dietary restrictions into account.
  • It could be encouraging cheap processed yucky for you food
Here is why I believe the challenge is a success for me.
I see what they are trying to do and I have no idea how it would be fair. Here is a picture of my freezer because I've been buying in bulk:
It looks like I'm not spending very much money. I've spent $133 so far this month for my family of 4. I make bulk purchases at Sam's Club, Azure Standard, a local rancher for a side of beef and a local butcher shop for a 1/2 pig. 

My grocery budget happens to be $400 for my family of 4, but I don't spend $100 maximum a week. Here's my budget break down:
  • $100 for bulk meat purchases
  • $50 Sam's Club
  • $50 Azure Standard
  • $45 weekly (carry over any amount that I don't use)
Again, I'm glad I participated, but it doesn't look like I'll win the challenge. This month I will continue to record everything in detail so I know where my money is going. Maybe I did win after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment