Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pantry Principle - buying too many items

I try to plan my menu around what is in my pantry. This is also known as the pantry principle. FYI - my "pantry" includes items in my freezer, fridge and cupboards.

A good way to be completely overwhelmed when stocking your pantry is to wander through the isles buying prepackaged things. IE. crackers, cookies, mixes, cereal, etc. Ask me how I know!!!

A much better method is this: limit the number of items you buy from the store and keep those stocked in your pantry. For example, instead of stocking up on cake mixes, pancake & waffle mixes, cookie mixes, cookies, crackers, bread, tortillas, etc., stock up on basic ingredients and learn how to cook and bake! It's really not hard. It is a bit time consuming in the beginning, but once you find a tried and true recipe, you'll find cooking/baking goes very quickly.

It's a lot easier to grocery shop when you limit the number of items you buy at the grocery store . It's also a lot easier to keep track of the sale prices when you have fewer items to track.

Money saving tip: the pantry principle will save you money if you spend the time to learn how the system works.

No comments:

Post a Comment