Monday, December 28, 2009

Money Saving Tip

Money Saving Monday!

Someone once said that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Why do we whine that we spend a lot more than other people at the grocery store, yet we continue to do shop the way we have always shopped. For years I researched how other ladies bought groceries and gathered all the information I needed to make changes, but I just couldn't formulate a plan. Part of my problem is my perfectionism. Thankfully I've gotten a better handle on that in recent years thanks to flylady.

The best thing I've ever done for our grocery budget was to buy everything I NEEDED for one week and that was it, zip zilch nada, nothing else. It NEARLY killed me to miss out on the sales. You know what though? I survived and I've been able to lower our grocery bill substantially from that little exercise. I don't shop that way anymore, but it's nice to know how little I actually need to spend for one week at the grocery store. I got this idea from Gayle at the Grocery Cart Challenge .

My challenge to you in the new year is to try something new. After scouring your pantry (fridge, freezer, cupboards) for meal ideas, buy everything you need for one week and that's it. Don't run to the store if you run out of something, don't buy anything extra. Get creative if you run out of something. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

C'mon, I double dog dare ya...


One final note: if there is an amazing sale that happens ONLY ONE TIME A YEAR, please take advantage of the sale. I know in some parts of the country there are canned good sales in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment