Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Grocery Shopping 6/16/10

If my google spreadsheet doesn't work please let me know...I copied it over here, but lost the format.

What in the world are we eating? Well, it's easy when you have a 1/2 of a pig and a 1/4 of a cow in the freezer as well as many other goodies in the "pantry" (including fridge, freezer and cupboards)!
  1. Monday I can't remember, but I did make homemade sausage with ground pork. Oh MY was it good! I know we nibbled on that and something else - Oh yeah, leftovers! We had leftover soup and hamburgers.
  2. Tues - I put a frozen pork roast in the crock pot on high about noon, turned it down to low then we ate it after the baseball game. I also put frozen peas in a pan so all we had to do was heat them up when we got home.
  3. Wed - I put the chicken legs in the crock pot and made a salad. We had pineapple as well.
  4. Thursday - I'm going to brown hamburger, add taco seasonings, sauteed leeks, kale and garlic and then throw some scrambled eggs in it for a Mexican omelet thingie. Wonder how that is going to go over? Maybe I'll actually attempt an omelet. Hmmm....I'm making homemade salsa as well.
  5. I bought a whole chicken from the Butcher Shop earlier and I will ATTEMPT to cut it up and make buffalo chicken. Say a prayer for me...that I keep all of my fingers. We will have celery and carrots to go with it.
  6. We're going camping on Saturday and we'll be having traveling tacos. I swear health goes out the window when we camp. I love that we don't have dishes to do though because we put the taco stuff in the Doritos bag.
  7. Steaks for Father's Day. Probably with green beans sauteed in bacon grease. YUMMY! Kids are making scotcharoos at their Dad's request.
We have stuff for smoothies (frozen bananas, homemade yogurt and blueberries), cereal, eggs, bacon, homemade granola, cheese, milk, and apples on hand for breakfast and lunch.

For more inspiration check out Grocery Cart Challenge and Money Saving Mom




Here's my spreadsheet copied over:
Priorities in order:


1 - Stay within $400 budget

2 - Buy Meat/Protein Locally

3 - Buy a LOT of veggies (if budget allows, Locally)

4 - Fats - buy good fats that will help with hypoglycemic issues

5 - Read Labels - buy items without a bunch of junk (sour cream, whipping cream)



Meat/Protein Vegetables Dairy/Fats Fruits Cereal Bread



6/16/2010 Walmart

4 lbs Chicken Drumsticks ($1.32/lb) $5.28

Spur of the moment - said it didn't have hormones

** want to buy local chickens $1.65 at Butcher Shop



1 lb Frozen Cauliflower $1.38

14 oz Broccoli Florets $0.98

1 pkg Celery $1.32

** not much nutrition, but we like it with Buffalo Chicken

Leeks $2.24

*** too much waste - buy onions/garlic next time

1 lb Baby Carrots $1.48

1 tomato on the vine $0.96

** DUMB! Almost $1.00 for a yucky tomato

1 pkg Green leaf Lettuce $1.88

Fresh Broccoli (small bit of it) $0.36

Zucchini (1 small) $0.89

** Not a great idea. Soon I'll be getting these free or very cheap!



Bananas $1.52

** these will be used for smoothies as well

1 Pineapple $2.88

** Another dumb purchase. Spur of the moment/not on the list

** I was planning on buying cherries with that money!



Raisins $1.58

** To mix with peanuts for trail mix



Whipping Cream $2.13

** Only place I can find cream that is not Ultra Pasteurized with a bunch of extra junk in it

Hot Dog buns

Cereal $4.32

** we don't eat cereal often, but my husband loves it

Other things on receipt:

face cream bought with "house money"

J bought nail file

No comments:

Post a Comment