Thursday, June 3, 2010

OAMC - June Plan


That is pretty much how my menu looks right now!

I have a bunch of excuses about why I don't want to do a OAMC session for June. Why is that when March,  April and May were so successful?

Excuses:
  1. I stopped eating most grains so that totally changes the focus of our eating. I'm focusing more on meat and veggies. I haven't been following recipes as much as just winging it. Throwing a frozen roast in a crock pot or throwing frozen chicken breasts on the grill. This kind of cooking is okay, but I think it will get old after a while!
  2. I don't want to do it. I want to be outside where it's beautiful. YES, DEAR! That's the whole point of OAMC or batch cooking. So you don't have to be indoors every single night cooking and cleaning up!
  3. I don't have time. YES, DEAR! That's the whole point...(see #2)
  4. I really don't have time today to do a full blown Once a Month Cooking session or even a huge batch cooking session. Tonight is a baseball game, I have an appointment tomorrow morning, my house is a disaster from our weekend of camping, I have a garden to plant - but wait, I have to put some stucco stuff on the side of my house before I can plant my garden, Mt. Washmore to get through (FLYLADY speaking...) as well as a garage sale on Friday that I'm not prepared for yet. Yet, my family comes first and these people like to eat! My kids and I will be doing a mini session today and tomorrow. They don't know this yet, but they do love to help out in the kitchen.
Here's the OAMC plan/ Batch Cooking plan:
  • 2 quiche (with 6 eggs) with bacon, spinach, onions, tomatoes and cheese. Bake 1 today and freeze one raw.
  • 2 breakfasts of sausage - 1 pound of burger gives us 10 sausage patties. Fry all of them and re-heat.
  • 2 dinners of meatballs (30 meatballs that have ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, garlic and onions with a bit of LA hot sauce) Bake all of the meatballs, make BBQ sauce (recipe coming soon) for one meal and freeze the remaining meatballs for another night
  • Yogurt
  • Salsa (recipe coming soon)
  • Simple Caribbean Jerk Chicken (this was a bit too sweet for us so I'll decrease the amount of brown sugar - probably 1T instead of 2T)
The kids are still in bed so I need to get them up pretty soon so we can get going on this. They're going to love me because they get bacon! Yummy!
  1. Start Yogurt
  2. Fry Bacon
  3. Chop 3 onions and a bunch of garlic in the food processor
  4. Crack 12 eggs for Quiche
  5. Crack 4 eggs for Burger
  6. Cut tomatoes and spinach for quiche
  7. Grate cheese for quiche
  8. Make BBQ sauce
  9. Make Salsa
  10. Make Simple Caribbean Jerk Chicken seasoning and pour over bag of frozen chicken breasts (BBQ them tomorrow)
The result will be 3 dinners, several lunches, 4 breakfasts plus snacks. I think this will probably take about an hour now that I have everything written down. In two weeks I could easily repeat this so we have more for our freezer. I'll keep you posted!

Feed your Freezer!!! It's the best way to save time in the kitchen and money so you don't go out to eat!

This post is linked to Life as Mom. Find more wonderful ideas over there.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post. You have a great plan. I hope your freezer cooking was a success. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete