Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pantry


1/4/2010
Lueders trip - 1 bag oranges, 2 boxes saltines, 8 cans mushrooms and 12 medium eggs $10.90
Using the pantry principle:
My definition of our pantry is "anything that contains stockpiled items." I don't stockpile things for the fun of it or because I believe I need to have a years supply of anything. I stockpile things simply to save time and money.
For example, today when I bought saltines I put one in my cupboard and one in my "pantry." When we eat all of the saltines that are in my cupboard then I'll grab this box of saltines from the pantry instead of paying full price.
Saltines are one of a few things that I stockpile. I know that we don't use that many, but they are really convenient for me to have on hand. I know that about every 6 weeks they go on sale for $1.00. This saves me $.35.
Who cares about $.35? Why sweat the small stuff, it's not a big deal. Let's say that I "only" save $.35 on 10 items that I buy every week. That's $3.50 per week, over the course of a year $182. I've earned TAX-FREE $182 in my job as a homemaker. In order to save that $182 I have spent a bit of time. I couldn't even guess how much time, maybe 5 minutes to look at the ad?
The pantry principle can work for anyone!

Find more frugal ideas over at Frugal Fridays at Life as a Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment