Monday, March 22, 2010

Grocery Shopping & Menu Plan

Last Tuesday I went through the grocery store ad to see if I needed anything that was on sale. Then on Thursday, I stopped at the grocery store after I picked up the kids from school.

I saved $2.70 at the store because I bought the items on sale instead of at full price. It took me an extra 10 minutes out of my day to save $2.70. That is like earning $16.20/hour ($2.70 savings * (60 minutes/10minutes)). Tax Free. I could shop when I wanted to and when it was convenient for me.

I hesitated to post that I spent 10 minutes to save $2.70. That in itself is the biggest problem with our attitudes today. As homemakers, without any "paycheck", our job is to save money. Yes, sometimes we work for the "low" wage of $16.20/hour. Obviously I cannot spend my entire day "saving" $2.70 at the grocery store, but if I find little things like that to do during the day, I can earn a good hourly wage. This concept is discussed in detail in the Complete Tightwad Gazette. I couldn't find the page number this morning - Can anyone help me out with the page number?

Back to my shopping trip:
  • sausage $2.00
  • flour $1.50
  • frozen veggies $1.00
  • ketchup $2.00
  • $6.50 spent
On Tuesday the 23rd after I volunteer at the school, I plan to stop by the store to buy a few more loss leaders to fill my pantry and buy some milk.

Onto the menu plan...we'll be eating a lot from my OAMC session. Good thing too because "the taxi mom" will be on duty again every day during dinner time.

Monday: Smothered Burritos (OAMC) with mixed veggies
Tuesday: Chili (OAMC) with salad
Wednesday: Lasagna (OAMC) with roasted carrots, broccoli and cauliflower
Thursday: Taco Salad (meat is in the freezer from OAMC)
Friday: plan aheads (AKA leftovers) or scrambled eggs with veggies
Saturday: fish or marinated pork chops (OAMC) with peas
Sunday: My hubs cooks! Yeah!

Stay tuned for my April OAMC plan where I am planning fewer pasta meals and including more veggies and fruit.  I plan to do my OAMC session the week after Easter.

This post is linked to Orgjunkie and Grocery Cart Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment