Tuesday, March 30, 2010

OAMC - planning

I think I mentioned a million times or two that I loved OAMC last month. It saved me so much time. I prefer the term dedicated cooking to OAMC though. I have visions of what OAMC looks like and that is not what I did. Basically I did a lot of meal prep but had very few completed meals in the freezer.

This month I wanted to buy a bunch of salad stuff at Sam's Club to start off the month. It always seems to go bad before I use it though so I knew I needed to have a plan in place. I'm also trying to focus more on meats and veggies rather than breads and pasta. We still have a few dinners left in the freezer that we didn't eat in March and I'm a little tired of beans and rice. After ten years of discovering them I'm finally tired of them; we won't be eating that meal more than one time this month (if that).

When I make my OAMC schedule I try to wash all the veggies and chop them at the same time. That is the biggest time saver for me!

Following are my updated OAMC master sheets (please let me know if they don't work for you):

OAMC Dinners

OAMC Schedule

I'm also going to add in the following recipes. I haven't tried freezing these items before so I'm excited to see how they turn out:
  1. egg rolls (no cabbage in the recipe) when I chop up all of my other vegies I'll do this as well. A food processor is your friend! I haven't made egg rolls in over 20 years. Gravy, am I really that old? Anyway, I'm going to try to brush them with an egg wash, bake and then freeze them.
  2. refried beans
  3. biscuit cups (I think I'll add ham and a bit of bacon)
  4. quiche (I add more eggs because we don't like it runny - probably make it with broccoli and ham)
  5. spaghetti pie (instead of lasagna - this isn't my recipe, but the concept is the same. I have some lasagna innards leftover from last month that I need to use up)
With the items I've added I'll be cracking a lot of eggs! That's the beauty of OAMC cooking though - do it once, make a mess, clean it up, you are done!

For other recipes you'll have to look at my other OAMC post. Some day I should put all this stuff in one spot!

I'm planning to shop and cook for this OAMC session the week of April 5th. I don't know that it has saved me money, but it has saved a ton of time and energy!

Check out other OAMC plans over at Money Saving Mom!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to my Egg Roll recipe! I have been pondering freezing quiche...toying with the idea of prebaking and then warming on the night of serving. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm..I've never done it before! I've read before that you can scramble eggs lightly and then freeze them so I'm going to try that. I'm making a crustless quiche too so that might make a difference.

    I'm going to make my quiche as normal, freeze it, then when I'm ready I'm going to thaw it overnight and see how it works. I'm crossing my fingers!

    I can't wait to make the egg rolls!

    ReplyDelete