Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pantry Principle Shopping

This is all of the shopping I'm going to do this week. Well, I guess I am going to Walmart tomorrow and will pick up some ice cream for the apple pie I'm going to make my husband for his birthday. Wish me luck - the last time I made a pie it was....well....weird. It was soup. My sister thinks it's because I didn't use the top crust because I was trying to save calories. She made one with me when she was here and it turned out so I'm hoping for the best!

I went to Sam's last week for my OAMC trial so I have quite a bit of food in my house. Here's the break down of the items I bought:
  1. Toilet Paper - wanted to test it out the store brand to compare it to Scott's brand. 
  2. onions - need
  3. 1 bag green apples for the pie
  4. apples and an avocado were okay prices, not amazing, but low enough to buy
  5. The mushrooms were 2/$1.00. This is a stock up price for me. They often go down to $.50 so I buy enough to last us until the next sale. I'm sure that for a lot of people this wouldn't be a pantry staple. I swear my husband could eat mushrooms in his cold cereal. Okay not really, but he LOVES mushrooms so they go in most of our meals.
  6. The mac & cheese. Disgusting food! My kids love it so I usually buy a few boxes when they go to $.50 per box. I only like this store brand - not crazy about Kraft. They were down to $.33 so I bought a LOT. Now I have to hide them somewhere so the kids can't find them.
  7. The sausage was a great price (well, for sausage) $2.25/lb. My husband likes to make brats on Sundays sometimes and I love Kielbasa in our red beans and rice. I was planning on stocking up on these at this price. However, considering my husband and I have both gained a few pounds over the winter I think I need to cut back on sausage. In my red beans I'm going to cut back on the amount of sausage I use and add chicken as well. The other issue is the nitrates and other gunk in them. Not the healthiest food around. I think I'd be better off in the long run serving more fish. But goodness fish sure does stink up the house! Next time I make it I need to use the BBQ!
Total for the month of March $215. My goal usually is $260. This month I gave myself an extra $100 so I could stock up on some meat when I find it at a low price.

Notice how weird pantry principle shopping is....what on Earth will I make? With few exceptions, I buy everything that is on sale. By the way, I just remembered I bought 1 pack of oriental ramen because I had a recipe that called for it and I haven't seen them on sale for a year.

There is another recipe that I'm dying to make, but cream cheese is not on sale. I know it will go on sale soon so why waste the $.50. Big deal you say...it's only $.50. If I can save $.50 on 10 items every week that saves me $5.00 for that week. Over the year, that will save me $260.00. For doing NOTHING other than being patient. It doesn't take me more time to be patient and it doesn't make me feel deprived! It makes me grateful that I can save money at the store because I took the time to read the grocery ad and write down a few prices.

The pantry principle works for me!!!

This post is linked to the Grocery Cart Challenge and WFMW.

8 comments:

  1. We also use the Pantry Principle. Isn't it fund scouring for deals?
    Btw, I'm enjoying reading your blogs.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you--nearly everything we eat was purchase on sale and then stored until time to eat it. My grocery trips come out looking like yours, except I have used coupons on virtually everything as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish we had coupons here!

    I see that you live in AZ, Katie. When we lived there I got a lot of stuff for pennies...especially supply type things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - I don't know why my comment didn't post the first time. Maybe it'll show up later. Anyway, I said something about it's fun now scouring for deals, but when I first started this journey I was completely overwhelmed. I'm still that way sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use that sausage but we get the turkey smoked sausage for our jimbalaya and you can't tell a difference between it and beef and there's a lot less fat and calories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just asked someone about the turkey sausage on another blog. Thanks for telling me! It's amazing the difference in fat and calories.

    Next time there is a sale I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever had the person next to you in line in the store look at your cart and ask in a puzzled voice, "What are you MAKING?" :-D That happens to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed at your Mac & Cheese comment. My kids also aren't fond of Kraft. They'd rather have the store brand! I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete